Saturday, October 21, 2006

Things I loved about the hotel pool/ Sat 21st

The pool was the place where I caught up on writing in my journal, read, read and read some more.


What I loved about the pool besides the stunning view overlooking the beach:

1. An abundance of (Dion says clean) lounging chairs
2. A table with lots of beach towels
3. An umbrella between every 2 chairs
4. A little table between every 2 chairs for my book, suntan lotion and water
5. The waterfall
6. The greenery

7. Jacuzzi jets





8. A bar in the pool with underwater barstools


Saturday 21 October (my father's birthday)
Breakfast
After a late start (I only woke at 9.50), we had a breakfast of cornflakes and yoghurt, slice brown toast, omelette, bacon, tomato and pancake, and of course, pineapple. They do the omelettes like little anteaters (Melody, please tell me the proper name in the comments)

Pool
This is what we did the whole morning after breakfast before our meeting with the tour guide.

Tour guide
We had an appointment for 13:45. This is where they reconfirm flights for you and try to sell you lots of tours. Not a very difficult job with us because we love tours.

Within just a few minutes, she'd racked up Thai Baht 7400 worth of sales (about R1600). It amazed me how easily she did it considering she was not in the least bit pushy. However, she listened well, considered our needs and honestly told us what she thought was best for us. And she was very professional which always impresses me.

Of course our DiscoveryCard was not acceptable (surprise surprise - we've had so many problems with this card because the numbers are not embossed like "normal" credit cards) so I used the Absa Mastercard.

We signed up for an Introduction to Phuket, Phang Nga (James Bond Island) and 4-in-1 elephant, rubber tapping, buffalo and gibbon tour for Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday respectively.

After the meeting we were both much more relaxed, the task-structured people that we are, knowing that we had some planned activities.

Lunch
We walked on the beach a bit after discovering that it costs TB 200 (R45) to rent a lounger for the day.

Had lunch at a plact right on the beach. There was no brown bread on the menu and I couldn't explain health/ whole wheat bread to the waiter so I ended up having a chicken salad. Dion had a tuna roll and we shared a pineapple pancake and icecream for dessert. This was the oiliest pancake ever! So we decided not to go there again.

Back to the hotel for showers, changing, reading and sleeping, and then out in the streets, window-shopping.

By this time, I'm too full to eat proper meals all the time so decide that a nice cheese and tomato on brown bread is just the ticket.

Except there is absolutely no brown bread in any restaurant and nobody speaks enough English to suggest an alternative.

Stay tuned for the next exciting post featuring........wait for this........the Tomato Restaurant (I kid you not)

No comments: