Sunday, October 29, 2006

Kuala Lumpur - still no city tour 29/10/06

And incidentally, our 11 1/2 year anniversary!

We’d booked places on the City Tour through the hotel’s concierge the previous night so we had to get up nice and early to get breakfast and be ready for collection at 8:45.

Well, when we got to the dining room, there was a queue of about 6 people before us (it was a HUGE hotel and obviously everybody decided to get breakfast late like us). We were just about to be seated when Dion realised that he forgot the breakfast tickets in the room, so I was seated while he went up.

I waited for a reasonable time and then I went to start getting food. You feel weird just sitting there “taking up table space” when you can see the queue of hungry people, staring at you! Eventually Dion pitched saying that he was sick and nothing was staying inside (must have been the beef hot pot). I felt quite pleased that I had Imodium (and all the rest of the little medicine bag I take everywhere when we travel) and for once, the stuff was being used. He couldn’t have any breakfast so he went back to the room to take the pills and rest. Meanwhile I finished my breakfast (no sense in both of us starving, now is there?!) and then explored the hotel a bit – gym, swimming pool and so on. I had to also tell the concierge that since D was sick, we wouldn’t be able to take the City Tour and would have to postpone.

I checked on D where I found him battling to concentrate on his book because of two very naughty boys in the room next door. You could see that their mother was all out of ideas so she just let them run loose. They were banging on the interleading door and running around their room making a noise. They left soon after I got back so we left it for the moment.

I grabbed my wallet and went to the plazas. I went to the Low Yat Plaza, Sungei Wei Plaza and many others. The strange thing with these malls is they are all inter-connecting. Basically you walk from one mall right to the next. The only way you know that you’re in another mall is that the tiles in one mall would be, say brown, and the tiles in the next mall are green. I only figured this out after a couple of hours when I started feeling lost and didn’t recognise shops and so on. Eventually I had to ask someone for the nearest exit to the street. He pointed it out to me and when I got outside I was like waaayyyy down the road, far from where I’d gone in. It’s actually a miracle I even knew where I was with my warped sense of direction. Although there were lots of food shops which are always good landmarks for me!

Side note – in Thailand, I knew exactly where we were at any point by our proximity to the Dunkin’ Donuts J

I bought a Brian Tracy book (Eat the frog) that I’d wanted for a long time but that I never saw in SA, a Malaysian magazine, two gorgeous silver rings and some keyrings.

By this time I was hungry so went back to the hotel to see if Dion was feeling any better. The little boys were back and the noise was not better so we decided to move rooms. Because they’d upgraded us, we had to take the normal room that we booked and paid for, which apparently had a not-so-wonderful view. We were totally fine with that because of course we’d already taken our pictures!

So we moved rooms and boy what a relief that was! Dion was also feeling better so we went out together again. He was still not well enough to eat though so I decided to have a small burger at KFC. Delicious! When we were walking through the hotel lobby, all the porters, concierge, etc. kept asking Dion how he was feeling. He felt like quite the star!

I then tried to find some shops again that I’d seen earlier when walking around, almost to no avail. It was only through my photographic memory that we eventually found the place. But at that point, we decided that if we saw anything we wanted, we’d just buy there and then as there was a good chance we wouldn’t find the shop again. Remember the street we were on (Bukit Bintang) is called the Shopper’s Street of Malaysia as there are 8 malls next to each other in less than 1km. And each of those malls has 6 to 7 floors, each of which is like one of Eastgate’s floors. Crazy!

So Dion bought me a beautiful leather bag at House of Leather. I liked a particular style but they had it in the wrong colour, so the assistant phoned around and said they’ll get it from another store. I asked how long it would take thinking a couple of hours but she says…10 minutes. Sure enough – 10 minutes later, we went back (not daring to venture very far in case we got lost) and bought it.




For some reason, the specs and sunglasses are really, really cheap. I bought this pair for 120 ringgit. If I’d had normal weak eyes (my eyes are both outside of the range, so they charge me extra for my lenses, and that’s besides all the other stuff I usually get added, like anti-reflex and hard coatings, etc.), for lenses and everything they would have charged 250 ringgit, which is R550!!! Cheap as anything – we would have paid at least R1500 here. Anyway, I wasn’t prepared to pay for everything since the medical aid probably wouldn’t refund us for the specs, so I just got the frame. In retrospect, I should have just had the specs done, because with all my fancy stuff, just the lenses will cost be between R1800 and R2600. So I’ve said to Dion that next time we go east, I will take those very frames with us, and get them to make my specs.



Well we were exhausted after trawling the malls and went back to our hotel for some tea and reading, and then decided to walk to China Town. We’d heard such a lot about it but it was quite disappointing. I found it extremely dirty and not very exciting at all.

We had to buy something after that loooong walk so I bought a watch and two apples and Dion bought some roasted chestnuts.


We then had a very late supper (10pm) at Nando’s!!! We were very excited to see a little bit of home.

And that was day 2.

No comments: