Thursday, October 19, 2006

Flying to Kuala Lumpur from Jhb

Dion and I consider the whole experience part of a holiday so I'm blogging everything from the airport - if you're bored, skip this post.

Dion's mum dropped us off at the airport at 11.40. We bought two locks for Dion's luggage and then checked in.

My bag only weighed 15kg - this is a personal miracle for me. Dion's weighed 17.8kg.

We looked around at the shops for a bit and then had one of the best chocolate croissants ever at Caffe Ritazza. We then boarded the plane. We were seated in the middle four seats, Dion on extreme right, me next to him, empty seat next to me and someone else to the left of that.

The flight, although scheduled to leave at 13.40, left at 14.00.

We were served supper at 15.00 our time - I had Tandoori Chicken, rice and chickpeas (absolutely delicious) and Dion had Vegetable Lasagne (apparently also very good).

Then we got to the fun bits and our favourite part - the in-flight entertainment. We watched Dharma and Greg, and Friends, and then I watched The Devil Wears Prada (I was disappointed as I didn't feel it was very good at all… 'bout a 6/10) while Dion watched Collateral.

In between all this watching, I read two of the four Shape magazines I'd brought along to catch up on. I also slept a bit.

They served us "breakfast" at 9.30 our time - very weird. Anyway, this was the usual omelette, sausage, mushrooms, hash brown, tomato, yoghurt and fruit, etc.

The flight landed at 11.40 our time, which was 5.40 local time in Kuala Lumpur. Very smooth flight and landing.

After I mailed my list from the free internet stations in the airport, we rode the express train for a bit to take pictures of everything.

We were desperate for some coffee (D) and water (me) so we went in search of an ATM to draw some local currency.

Guess what? In "the best airport in the world" (I don't know who they bribed to get that rating), there was only 1 ATM which was out of order. Wonderful! However we have credit cards aplenty but……. Yes, you guessed it - none of the food places accept credit cards. So here we are, parched, tired and grumpy and NOT IMPRESSED. By the way, Singapore's airport beats it hands down - it is the best so far out of 8 airports I've been at.

I found the staff very quiet (not forthcoming) and unfriendly.

So we took a few pics and decided to check in for our next flight to Phuket and then find a quiet place to read. At least the seats were comfy.

I force myself to try and find something positive about everything so here goes……. the toilets were spotless. D didn't like the square toilet seats though J Oh, and the trolleys were really cute and easy to steer. There were also lots of cute kids running around.

Aren't I doing well?!

No comments: