Saturday, April 28, 2007

Storms River Mouth & highest bungee jump in the world

When we left Port Elizabeth, it was cold and rainy. Not unusual weather for the time of year, but unusual for us, being used to Jhb's cold, dry winters.

The rain eventually cleared up about an hour outside of PE so we decided to stop and take some pictures at Storms River Mouth.

My Dion - isn't he gorgeous


As you can see from my ice-cold face and my hair blowing in the wind, it was absolutely freezing.

This was taken on the one side of the bridge...

and this was taken on the other side


This is a picture of Bloukrans bridge. At 216m, it is officially recognised by the Guiness book of world records as the highest bungee jump in the world.

I saw all the signs but I must admit that I wasn't sure if they were just saying that as a gimmick so of course, I googled it. And it is correct!


It is much more impressive in real life. And we amused ourselves there (still in the cold) watching about 5 or 6 people "face their fears" as the poster dared them to do. There was actually a lovely vibe because they play loud thumping music; I suppose it's to get the people in the mood.


A 5-year-old watching with us said, "Daddy, they go like this" and she demonstrated beautifully how they free fall. Hmmm - I'd keep a close eye on her.

No comments: