Friday, May 02, 2008

The last time we weren't rushed on this trip


Our British Airways flight from Johannesburg to Heathrow was scheduled to leave at 8.15pm which means check-in opens at 6.15, right?
Well, Dion being Dion wanted to leave our house for the airport at .......wait for this.........2pm but his mom and I spoke sense into him and we left just after 3pm.
Still ridiculously early because we arrived at OR Tambo in record time and had HOURS to kill before we could check in.
Anyway, eventually checked in (there was a Scottish man behind us in the queue which I got a kick out of) with a combined total of just 33kg! A record for us - we have never travelled this light before, even on domestic flights.
Went through security and afterwards, went to have some potato wedges and a chicken wrap (shared both), with tea and coffee. I think we paid R100 which was also the least amount of money we paid for a meal the entire trip :)
Browsed a couple of shops and eventually boarded the plane. We had lovely seats (thanks to Dion's online booking the previous night the minute online booking was available) - a two-seater where I was on the window and he had the aisle seat next to me.
Thank goodness the plane left on time because I always get really hot before take-off.
I had chicken stirfried with noodles and D had some beef dish for supper. We'd just eaten when we had quite honestly the most terrible turbulence ever. Oooh - I shudder now just thinking about it - so I didn't feel like watching TV and really just browsed one of my magazines until I felt better. And then I watched The Commitments (had to get in the mood for Ireland) before having a few hours' sleep.

No comments: